Saturday, April 14, 2007

Vietnamese Fried Rice

1Well, this recipe started out as Vietnamese fried rice, but I've tweaked it so many times that it's probably a totally different recipe now. Also, I apologize for the vagueness: I basically made this recipe up and I never measure.

Cook some rice. I usually start with between 1 and 1 1/2 cups dry, and use a rice cooker.

Heat up a skillet with enough oil to cover the bottom, and a bit to spare.

Add rice.

Then, add (about):

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

Chinese 5 spice

garlic powder

onion, in some form (if it's not dried or powdered onion, then you should simmer it for a while before adding the rice)

1 tbsp soy sauce

3 tbsp sugar

And mix that together really well. If you have some cooked, cut-up meat, you can add that now. I usually don't, and it's still delicious.

Spoon all the rice to one side of the skillet and add an egg to the empty side. Let it cook a little bit, and then stir it in. Pour another egg over the rice and mix that in until it cooks. And, if you have lots of rice, add another one.

If you're a healthy person you can add some peas or other relevant vegetables, or you can do it my way and call it done with the egg.

No comments: